A FUTURE OF RAZOR BLADES



Today I am going to shave off my beard, but not in a reckless, casual way. I am going to shave it off completely, and carefully, but in stages, allowing for a moment to pause and say “This is what I look like as an old President, with mutton chops” and then “this is what I look like with a fu manchu” and then “this is what I look like as a cowboy, with a handlebar mustache” and then “this is what I would look like if I were Charlie Chaplin, shaving at a stranger’s mirror and saying ‘My God, what have I done? My career is ruined!’ until I don’t look like Charlie Chaplin at all.” Finally: “This is what I would look like in the witness protection program, wearing a lime suit with three buttons, a false pair of glasses,  holding a book in my hands that I really haven’t read, a snappy blonde by my side who I have never met, hailing a taxi to New Mexico, my face bracing and clean from a smart smack of Aqua Velva with nothing to look forward to but the future and its perfect, smooth face.

Comments

Emily Cooper said…
As the parlance goes, pix or it didn't happen. :-)

Popular Posts